What are Lot Mergers?
The purpose of a lot merger is to merge two or more contiguous parcels or units of land under common ownership into one parcel.
Why are Lot Mergers Important?
Property owners may want to undertake a lot merger if individual parcels meet any of the following criteria:
- Parcel fails to conform to standards for minimum parcel size of 5,000 square feet in area;
- Parcel does not meet current standards for sewage disposal and water supply;
- Parcel does not meet slope stability standards;
- Parcel has no legal access which is adequate for vehicular and safety equipment access and maneuverability;
How can TKM Land Surveyors Help?
Lot Merger maps must be prepared and signed by a California State Registered Civil Engineer authorized to practice land surveying or a licensed land surveyor like TKM Land Surveyors. TKM ensures that the lot merger complies with the General Plan and zoning for the subject property which differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
TKM Land Surveyors helps clients with the lot merger process by handling the following tasks if they are required:
- Prepare an application with the Planning Department on behalf of the owner;
- Prepare new legal descriptions based on the merging of the lots;
- Verify any Public Utility Easement (PUE) that will be affected by the merging of the lots;
- In the event any PUE is impacted, TKM will help clients in the following ways;
- Contact the utility companies and receive written authorization or acknowledgment of the proposed action.
- Alert property owners that they must facilitate access onto the property by the utility companies to service any utilities.